Tuesday, April 13, 2010

...which is really far from home

God is good.

This morning at around 5:30, when I already happened to be awake, the phone rang.

God is faithful.

I figured it was our community coordinator or something. Maybe something was up with the bus and she was letting us know with an hour of warning.

God never fails.

I answered and heard my step-mom Carol's voice. I immediately knew this news was bad.

God is good.

My grandma passed away. Only like 8 hours before I'm writing this.

God is faithful.

I'd been kept abreast of her developments over the last two months or so, when after so many years of rather secure steadiness, she finally began to show signs of her final descent. Her heart simply seemed to be failing.

God never fails.

I determined myself a while ago to return for her funeral. The day the folks back home are shooting for is Friday. On Friday at school, more than half the day will be devoted to Day of the Americas, so most of my classes are canceled.

God is good.

Flights out of Tegus all leave between noon and one, so On Thursday, when I booked a ticket for, I'll be able to come in and teach most of my classes in the morning. I'll be in Grand Rapids by 10:30 in the evening on Thursday.

God is faithful.

I'll be home for two full days. I'll sing at the funeral with my brother. I'll see my family, though not under the greatest of circumstances.

God never fails.

I'll fly back to Tegus on Sunday, leaving at 6:30 in the morning, and arriving around noon. I'll be able to rearrange myself in plenty of time before the next school week begins in earnest.

God is good.

I live thousands of miles away, and miss my family so much right now, but I will be able to go home to celebrate my grandmother's life.

God is so, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment