Sunday, May 30, 2010

...trying not to get wet

Welcome to my special, super-secret inner circle of blog readers! I went private because I got a comment from an anonymous student on a post from way back in December, which as you remember, was not a great time for me. While I'm feeling much better now than six months ago, much of my blog is still more negative and self-critical than I'd like my students (save a few, whom I trust) to be reading. And while the material from six months ago is no longer true, I don't trust students to make that distinction or be forgiving, which is understandable. So here I am being private, and I hope some day to have any and all readers who aren't students added to my inner circle.

Anyway, it is WET in Tegus these days. It rains easily every day. Some days it rains all day (like today), but usually it's just from 4pm and after, more or less. At least the temperature has relented, so the only people running the risk of melting are western wicked witches.

I'm nearly all caught up with stuff. I still haven't kept up, even in this final quarter, but with a hard push today (which is necessary), I can be all caught up - for all of a day. On Tuesday, I get a stack of final drafts of research papers, a dozen or so of which have to be graded immediately, to verify exam exemptions. Then on Wednesday I'll have a stack of exams to grade. I'm going to try to grade those all on Wednesday. Then I'll be nearly responsibility-free until Tuesday the 8th. Nearly. And then on Tuesday through Friday, I have an hour of recuperation exam review classes to give every day (more on recuperations in the future). At some point the following week, I will be grading around 10-15 of said recuperation exams. During those two weeks, my other responsibilities will consist of preparing for next year. It's going to be a pretty smooth couple of weeks.

I leave Tegucigalpa in 19 days and perhaps 2 hours. I leave Honduras in 19 days and 12 hours. I arrive in Michigan in 19 days and 23 hours. I arrive home in approximately 20 days and 2 hours.

But the leaving, the beginning of the process, is my focus. 19 days and 2 hours. 458 hours. That sounds even better.

Edit: So the rain has seriously taken its toll. I had not realized that Tropical Storm/now Depression Agatha was headed our way. It's nowhere near as destructive as it was in Guatemala - fear not for us - but the river nearby is really swollen, rushing up against and almost overflowing a nearby bridge. I'm in no danger of flooding, but two teacher's houses have been evacuated and we have no school tomorrow. The president has declared a state of emergency (mainly for other parts of the country) and my last full day of class is cancelled. I couldn't be happier about it, but some of the elementary teachers, who, you know, literally love their kids are a bit disappointed. Bring on half days.

No comments:

Post a Comment