Monday, August 30, 2010

...after an eventful couple of days

One week and two class periods down. While I somewhat actually miss my students from last year (something I had trouble thinking possible), I am pretty ridiculously happy with this year's crop. Sure, there are always students who I know will give me trouble, but these kids are much more along the lines of what can be expected. Maybe it's because I know to expect something different from what I expected last year. They seem much savvier. I feel funnier. They can follow my ridiculousness much better than last year. They (knock on wood) don't talk as much. It all lends to a sense of increased optimism.

Yet school is not all there is to life in Honduras. I joined a gym for 263 lempiras a month. My roommates and I plan to go there twice a week. I'm in my bible more, although finding outlets for worship (at least ones where I can feel like I'm getting something out of it) down here appears as hard as ever. My moto has come back from the shop, although it's not seeming to be perfect. The new teachers seem very cool, particularly a few, and I have enjoyed getting to know them, although the married couples lend a distinctly new dynamic to the community. It rains every freaking day, which is good considering last rainy season's clear lack of rain caused problems with water supplies later in the year, but makes it very frustrating to try to ride the moto up to Kristin's house. We're taking bets (not literally) on the first day with no rain - I'm totally overshooting things with October 3, whereas the nearest guess to mine is September 7. Look who's going to be the most pleasantly proven wrong. I watched Predators (seriously?) at the theater with my roommates. Playing cards is back in full force. We bought a grill, and harbor vast fantasies of culinary adventures.

Motivation is still hard to come by. But life is in greater force two weeks in.

No comments:

Post a Comment