Monday, March 21, 2011

...filling in the blanks

I gave my English exam for the third quarter today, and boy do I have a ton of grading ahead of me. There was a GREAT deal of writing on this test - writing that I have to read, of course - but I have to say that my students were champs. In my previous experience, many students sort of give up when it comes to writing essays, but most everybody stuck it out for the long haul and I had almost a third of the students working after the bell to give complete answers.

Anyway, I love grading objective portions of exams - I like developing a system and holding to that system. My OCD-ishness can come out. I especially love grading fill-in-the-blank activities for vocabulary - it's great when they get things right, but it can be hilarious when they mix things around. Examples:

"William rubbed a floozy on his sunburned shoulders." (The correct answer would be liniment.)
Ohhh boy. I'd share more, but two students will have to make up a very similar exam in the future. But I'm glad to get some chuckles out of grading.

No comments:

Post a Comment