Monday, March 7, 2011

...where roses are red and violets are blue

No, this post is not what you may think. Tonight was a classic night of me and my roommates getting on a topic and making lots of jokes about it. Tonight's topic: romance. The classic "Roses are red/ Violets are blue/ Sugar is sweet/ And so are you" poem came up, and my roommate Matt decided to parody it:

Pennies are brownish,
Angels rejoice;
Dinner with me this weekend
Is the right choice.

This obviously got me thinking about other possible ridiculous "love" poems of the same meter. I've decided to compose a few, starting with something to woo some lady as bookish as I:

Dickinson's dead,
Hawthorne is too;
Don't be a stranger
(like crazy Camus).

Ireland's Irish,
Wales is Welsh;
I am dyslexic
and admire your flesh.

T-shirts are teeny,
Keyboards have keys;
We should get coffee -
No, really! But--please?

Amoebas have one cell,
Prisons have dozens
My love for you
is more than my cousin's.

Post-Armageddon,
If we both remain,
We should hang out
It could be, like, you know, fun, and stuff.

1 comment: