Tuesday, September 22, 2009

...but the inside of my house seems like no country in particular

We are in hour 27 of the mandated curfew. It's been extended through 6am tomorrow morning, and will likely be extended even further. School has been canceled for a second day tomorrow, so if somehow we do have school on Thursday, it would be our second day of school since Sept. 9. And school will not be fun when we do get back. As I've said, there are students whose parents are at high levels in Mel Zelaya's camp as well as the new "regime" as most US news media outlets are unfortunately and appallingly referring to Micheletti's administration.

I cannot understand why so many other countries are falling into support of Mel. I certainly believe no one wants to see Honduras fall into terror and violence, and it's true that many of the negative outcomes for Mel might easily lead to that (if Mel's arrested, as he most certainly will be as soon as he sets foot outside the Brazilian embassy, his supporters (and people who don't care either way but just want to set things on fire and cause commotion) are certain to go nuts. I've heard about possible plans to try and assassinate Mel, and that'd sure to create much huger problems and I pray it never comes to that), but the simple fact is that MEL IS IN THE WRONG. What he was trying to do was totally unconstitutional, and most anybody with their head screwed on straight down here knows that. A friend of mine pointed me to this article from the Wall Street Journal, and it was such a relief to see that not all of the American newspeople have their heads (pardon my French two days in a row) up their asses. I am extraordinarily disappointed in the way the Obama administration is handling this situation, and I pray he/they may see the light about what's going on down here soon. As the WSJ author said, the support from the US is huge for Zelaya - it might be making him feel invincible. If he feels invincible, one side or the other is going to do something rash. And I frankly would not like to see that outcome.

In other happier news, I am officially an uncle for the third time! My brother Jeff and his wife Lynnette welcomed Nathan Jeffery Eding into the world just a couple hours after I started this house arrest, and this evening I was able to video chat with the proud parents, the proud grandparents (i.e. my folks...as well as Lynnette's parents) and my other sister Lara and her husband Steve, all in the hospital on wireless! I praise the Lord for technology like this that lets me see him and them, and I can't wait to see all those folks in person come December! (Even earlier for Dad and Carol, Lord willing...they're planning on coming during election time, which might prove problematic, but we will see and pray and hope it will all work out.

Read that article. It's awesome. A breath of fresh air. I thought my whole country had gone stupid.

Edit: Here's a blog post from a blogger for the Huffington Post who's stationed in Tegus. He saw a bunch of the action with the demonstrations and police action firsthand. Quite intense.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Aaron, for the background of the present situation in Honduras. The article in the Wall Street Journal was very informative.
    Hope you have enough food etc. So no one is allowed to go anywhere? Wow! Scary! I am praying for you and your "present" country.
    Congratulations on your new nephew!
    Aunt Glady

    ReplyDelete