Thursday, September 10, 2009

...with a bit of free time

Regarding my last post: Swine Flu, H1N1, gripe porcina has most definitely hit with a vengeance. So much so that International School has closed for today...and tomorrow...(we weren't going to have school on Monday or Tuesday because of Independence Day)...and next week Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday! Students may have been a little nutso yesterday afternoon - my friend Leslie had an especially difficult time with her 9th grade mental patients - I could hear their yelling, cheering, and clapping in unison from my room. I whipped my (slightly) more mature 11th graders into shape and tried not to take craziness for an answer. Fortunately, I had my best class last, and they kinda love me from what I can tell (superstars, let me tell you), so my job was made easier.

Now we have time off, but work doesn't stop. My students are still responsible to keep up with their reading, and I have to post updates to our (rather unreliable thus far) online class center (Blackboard, for those acquainted with it). And now I get a chance to atone for my delinquency thus far in journal reading (I took ~70 journals home with me yesterday - no getting back into school for us teachers, even).

But amid the continued work, I'll be heading with a group of teachers to the island of RĂ³atan, probably the most touristy, luxury place Honduras has to offer. 4 nights of Caribbean sweetness. I'm planning on renting a bicycle for a day or two and just relishing independence, while still getting some relaxation and advance reading on The Scarlet Letter, my next book to teach, which I have not yet read. I also look forward to photo ops.

I've a couple silly posts brewing; interesting list-type things I foresee being revised and added to, which I'll probably get going in the next day or so. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Have a nice vacation to the Island, Aaron. Watch for tourists from the cruise ships!

    -Lara

    ReplyDelete