Monday, August 24, 2009

...and I may just be a teacher

Today was the first day. And it went well. I can honestly say that around 7:57 this morning, as the 6th-11th graders gathered in the polideportivo (semi-outdoor gymnasium, more or less), I actually felt excited. I have a great deal to work on, and planning will be a constant struggle, but there are real students I will see every day to do that for. I think this may be the difference.

Haggai 2:4-5 says "'Be strong, all you people of the land,' declares the Lord, 'and work. For I am with you,' declares the Lord Almighty...'And my Spirit remains among you. Do not fear.'" This is said to the Israelites as they were rebuilding the Temple after returning from exile, as they were doing work for the sole purpose of glorifying God. In the Old Testament especially, when God told you "I am with you," that is a sure indication of success. I used this passage as my initial devotional for my first class today. I remembered this passage last night, and felt very comforted by it. It's no exaggeration to say I'm doing work to glorify God, and so God's promise to be with me, to guarantee success, applies to me, as well. And I believe it applies to my students. I hope I can instill that belief in them, too.

Things may once again be looking up. Let's hope it continues. I'll keep updating as I feel the fort held down.

1 comment:

  1. Good Morning, Aaron,
    What a difference a day/blog makes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Praise the Lord, our prayers are working!
    And so are you!
    I knew you could do it.
    I will keep praying for you.
    Love,
    Aunt Glady

    ReplyDelete