Wednesday, August 19, 2009

...but I'm still wordy

This evening I was (jokingly) called long-winded and/or rambling, which was funny, because I am not very outspoken in groups of people apart from a few puns about which I always concurrently feel bad and proud. However, I know in writing, my prose is inflated and I am a master of tangents. (My students will love me for that.) I feel especially for the average blog reader, this is unappealing and inconvenient. I'm going to try to pare my prose, but please understand that this blog is as much for my own benefit as it is for any of you (sorry if that's a kick in the face), so sometimes especially troubling posts (such as one I want to compose very soon) will necessarily be longer. I'm hoping this may lead to more feedback, as well.

I'm stressed out already, and short on sleep, and feeling rudderless as regards the first day on Monday. On top of it, we had very little time to actually work today. I did not have a good attitude. Something else occurred to me (see forthcoming, previously mentioned post), and so it was a downer of a day at school.

However, this afternoon and evening, we split into groups and toured around the city with Bobby, a former teacher at IST. We rode in his truck to Plaza Miraflores (no pictures taken tonight, so don't expect any. Other pics are going to be on their way, rest assured), passing by some demonstrators on the way, which made all of us gringos uneasy. We took a detour after a while to get away from the Mel Zelaya "supporters" (many of them don't really care; they're simply anarchist sorts of folks who want to rile things because there's some semblance of excuse to do it) and on a more peaceful tack. We arrived at our restaurant, then hired a cab to head down to the main centro of the city in the meantime. After walking around a bit, seeing the central post office and national theatre, we found another cab and headed back to the restaurant (The Patio or some such name), where we had a wonderful meal of beef and/or chicken kebabs, along with chips with great melted cheese and beans, as well as some other fried appetizer dealies. It was delicious, and the whole excursion improved my disposition markedly.

I will say that the city, while beautiful sprawled across hill-and mountainsides in the daylight, is strangely gorgeous at night with lights playing games with warped perspectives in the darkness.

I'm exhausted, as I said, and I need to work with waning modern attention spans. I shall try for quality as well as quantity (in number of posts, not length) in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment